Our Commitment to Safeguarding
Northgate Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
This is ensured through five key elements:
- Establishing a safe environment in which children can learn and develop
- Ensuring we practice safer recruitment in checking the suitability of staff and volunteers to work with children
- Raising awareness of safeguarding issues and equipping children with the skills needed to keep them safe
- Developing and then implementing procedures for identifying and reporting cases, or suspected cases, of abuse and allegations against teachers and other members of staff
- Supporting pupils who have been abused in accordance with a Child Protection Plan
For some children a one-off serious incident or concern may occur and you will have no doubt that this must be immediately recorded and reported. Most often, however, it is the accumulation of a number of small incidents, events or observations that provide the evidence of harm being caused to a child.
We at Northgate Primary School take our Safeguarding responsibilities very seriously. This means that we continue to ensure that everyone working in the school has successfully completed the necessary clearances and training to enable them to work with our children. Our duties include safeguarding children from radicalisation and extremism - we have a responsibility to protect children from extremist and violent views, the same way we help to protect them from drugs or child sexual exploitation (CSE) for example.
Key Safeguarding Roles
It is vital that any concern you have for a child’s welfare, however small is recorded and passed to our Safeguarding Lead.
- Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) is the Headteacher, Mrs Katie Penny
- Deputy DSL is the Foundation Stage Teacher, Mr Richard Coath
All staff members at Northgate Primary School have an important role to play in helping to identify welfare concerns and possible indicators of abuse or neglect at an early stage.
If the Designated Leads above are not available or if it is out of school hours you must ring:
Children's Services on 0300 123 2224
Our Safeguarding Policy can be found here.
Our Code of Conduct for Contractors can be found here.
The following websites provided useful information relating to safeguarding children:
Safeguarding at Northgate Primary School information leaflets are available from the school office at all times.