Our school meals are freshly made and prepared daily onsite in our fully functioning school kitchen by Aspens.
Pupils in EYFS and Key Stage 1 are entitled to Universal Infant Free School Meals (UIFSM), however pupils may bring in a packed lunch.
A high standard of table manners is expected from children. The children are supervised by our Lunchtime Assistant during the meal and during lunchtime play. As part of our health-promoting philosophy we encourage healthy lunch boxes and do not allow chocolate, sweets or fizzy drinks
- View our current Autumn & Spring Menu - Autumn and Spring 2019/20 Menu
- View an example Summer term menu - Summer 2019 Menu
- View an example of the Autumn term menu - Autumn 2018 Menu
- View an example of the Spring term menu - Spring 2018 Menu
Some of our menu items contains allergens including; gluten, milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, soya, celery, mustard, sulphites, sesame and lupin.
Please click in the link below to see the full list of allergens the foods may contain.
If you have a food allergy or special dietary requirement, please speak to a member of the Aspens Catering Team
Free School Meals
As you may be aware, if you claim certain benefits your child/children could be entitled to Free School Meals and have access to the Pupil Premium Scheme, which provides additional funding that enables enrichment of your child's learning.
You may be entitled if you claim any of the following:
- Income support
- Income-based job seeker’s allowance
- Income-related employment and support allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of state pension credit
- Child tax credit: provided you are not entitled to working tax credit (unless four week run on) and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs) that does not exceed £16,190.
We encourage parents/carers to apply for this hugely beneficial scheme, even if your child is entitled to Universal Free School Meals.
If you think this applies to you, please click on the link below for an application form, which must be completed and sent directly to Somerset County Council. Please also remember that if you are moving to a new school in a different county, you MUST re-apply for your child/ren's Free School Meals.
If you are unsure and have any questions, please ring the school office on 01278 226070 or speak to Miss Weston directly, alternatively please call Somerset County Council on 0845 345 9122 for advice.
- Click here for a Free School Meal Application Form
Packed lunch from Home
At Northgate Primary School we understand a healthy lunch every day will give your child the energy and nutrients they need to grow, develop and learn. We do not allow the following items in a packed lunchbox:
- NO Chocolate
- NO Crisps
- NO Fizzy Drinks
- NO Cake
- NO Chewing Gum
- NO Sweets
The key to a balanced, nutritious diet is variety. Here are some ideas of what to include to ensure that your child’s packed lunch is healthy, balanced and nutritious.
- Wraps, Pasta, Sandwiches, Rice, Crackers, Cous Cous, Pitta, Bagels
- Cheese, Yogurts, Boiled Eggs
- Healthy Bar, Breadsticks, Rice Cakes, Plain Popcorn, Malt Loaf
- Fresh or Dried Fruit
- Vegetable Sticks
- Water to drink
For more ideas and suggestions for a healthy lunchbox please click on the links below.
Aspens Online Ordering and Payment System
Northgate Primary school would like to introduce you to the Aspens this online ordering and payment system for your child’s school meal. The school will no longer be sending out paper menus and all orders must be placed using the online ordering system. This system will be completely separate from school and run entirely by Aspen. If you would like your child to continue to have a hot meal you will need to set up an online account with Aspen and make your orders directly with them.
We will be working closely with Aspen during the changeover to online ordering to ensure that all families can access the ordering system, but it is really important that you seek support from Aspens if you have any difficulties. We will try to help in school if we can but for the quickest results it is best to contact Aspen directly.
Aspen - You can contact them via email on firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 01905 759613. You will also find a host of information on their website – www.aspens-services.com
Please click on the links below to access further information about the online ordering and payment system.
- Letter to Parents from Northgate Primary School
- Letter to Parents from Aspen
- Slide Presentation from Aspens
How to Register for the Online Ordering and Payment System and Place Orders
Please click on the link below for guidance on how to register your child for online ordering and payment system.